Using the internet and exploring other technological advances are proven to be beneficial for personal or business purposes. You can communicate with your loved ones, shop, or start your business online. It’s safe to say that life, in these modern times, will be challenging without the internet.
But there’s a catch to using the internet: users are exposed to cybersecurity threats. One may fall victim to internet fraud and identities could be stolen and used for malicious activities. It’s a scary innovation that can destroy someone’s life or business.
The solution for this is to understand and implement cybersecurity measures to make internet usage safe. For better understanding, consider any available Cyber Security Course which would be a better option in terms of career as well as safety. Whether you’re running a business or using the internet for personal purposes, you may want to consider the following recommended cybersecurity practices:
1. Hire A Cybersecurity Company
The most important cybersecurity measure you should implement when running a business is to hire experts. You can outsource cybersecurity to keep your IT security well-maintained and monitored.
Read:- How To Get A Job In The IT Industry
If your business is in Chicago, you can check many local cybersecurity companies online, such as ntiva.com. Visiting these sites can help you determine whether they have a good reputation for providing cybersecurity for businesses.
When you hire a cybersecurity company, you can protect your business’s reputation and finances through the following:
- Application Of Knowledge In Network Security: Whether your business is big or small, cybercriminals will always target vulnerable companies. When they hack into your system, they can steal your clients’ social security info, credit card numbers, account numbers, and other data. They can do this by taking advantage of breaches in your network security. Even a single computer can endanger your entire business if your network is not secure.
A cybersecurity company can solve these issues through their knowledge and expertise. They have in-depth knowledge of strengthening the security of your network. They also know the importance of backing up your data in case of data breaches.
But before that happens, their main role is to prevent external security threats by monitoring problems in your network. And if they identify a small issue, they’ll work on a solution before it becomes a bigger security threat.
- Proactive Monitoring: Part of the responsibilities of a cybersecurity company is to monitor your network and system proactively. If you’re running a business, it may be impossible to monitor your network singlehandedly all the time. Let a third-party cybersecurity company help you with this task. Instead of waiting for a security problem to arise, they will proactively monitor your IT network to ensure that there are no hidden issues.
Some companies even have 24/7 monitoring to ensure that they can patch a real-time security breach. That way, your business operation will not be affected. Even a small crack in your network security can be a threat since problematic elements can slip through these cracks. If not prevented, you’ll end up with more complex issues.
Read:- How does Technology help you Combine Work and Personal life?
- Software Updates: Your cybersecurity team will also be responsible for ensuring that your software and network have been updated to the latest versions. From your business email to devices, they’ll apply anti-spam, anti-malware, and up-to-date anti-virus solutions.
Moreover, they’ll ensure storage and backup solutions are tested and secured regularly. Lastly, they’ll also report their activities to keep you informed of your business’s network security. Being informed means you can track whether they’re doing their jobs properly.
2. Create Strong Passwords
Whether you’re registering an account online or using apps, having a strong password is one way to keep hackers from accessing your data.
As mentioned, the password should be strong enough. You may want to consider the following tips if you want to create a strong password:
- Generally, you may want to change your password every year. If you forget your password, reset it.
- If you have password hints, don’t put them in the open. Hackers may be lurking around.
- Avoid using the same password twice.
- Use various passwords for every app or account.
- While making your passwords complex is a good choice, it may be better to create a password you can easily remember. With a max of 64 characters and a minimum of eight characters, combine numbers, symbols, and uppercase letters into your password.
3. Use Password Management Tools
If you’re managing several accounts, you may be using many passwords. And that’s a good cybersecurity practice to avoid endangering all of your accounts. The challenge is, you may find it difficult to remember all of these passwords. It’s not even advisable to write them on paper as this may go to the wrong person.
Read:- A Guide to Make Your Computer Activities Faster
You might think that you can just leave the accounts open on your browser. That way, you can automatically open them without manually entering the password after closing your browser. However, this method may not be applicable and unsafe if the accounts you’re managing are business-related.
If the site contains critical information about your clients or your company, it’s way too dangerous to leave them in your browser.
So, what should you do instead? Use password manager software or tools. This powerful tool can encrypt the database of passwords and usernames for your application, services, and websites. With this tool, you can secure your critical information and prevent identity theft.
Moreover, you can use a password manager tool for the following:
- When you’re syncing devices, you can use the password manager tool to sync your password database on your devices. By doing this, you can access your passwords on various devices.
- Since password manager software contains your database, you only need to remember one password. This doesn’t mean using only one password for all of your accounts. Instead, you’ll be using the database to access the stored passwords. That way, even if you have the most complex password, you can simply copy it from the database and paste it on the password entry bar.
- To make your passwords unique, you can use the password manager tool to generate random and unique passwords. As mentioned, you don’t have to remember it once generated because all you need to do is store the same in your password database. Then, access it when you need to use it anytime.
4. Consider Biometric Security
Likewise, you may want to use biometric security systems for precise, safe, and fast management and authentication. If you’re protecting valuable data or information, you need user’s identity verification to ensure that only you or an authorized person can access such. These biometrics include gait analysis, behavioral biometrics, facial recognition, palm biometrics, fingerprint scans, and voice recognition.
Besides, you can use biometrics as a part of your multi-factor authentication. That way, even when hackers can access your SMS verification or passwords, biometrics can prevent them. Without being verified, they cannot gain access to your account.
You can also use it to alert security officers of unverified access. For example, behavioral biometrics can detect abnormal behavior when a person uses a device. Here’s how it works:
- Eye Movement Biometrics: This type of behavioral biometrics detects unique patterns from the recorded videos of eye movement. It uses gaze and eye-tracking devices that can record and analyze unusual eye movements of the user.
- Mouse Dynamics: Said dynamics can track the computer’s mouse style of cursor movement, rhythm, speed, and clicks. That way, if a physical device is left unattended, you can detect unauthorized access.
5. Keep Your Mobile Devices Safe
Another point of attack for cybercriminals is mobile devices. This is because most mobile phone users don’t equip their devices with anti-virus or cybersecurity measures. Most people think that no criminal is ever interested in hacking their phones.
The truth is, there are more critical and personal data stored in your mobile phones that cybercriminals can use. That’s why you need to eliminate this susceptibility by doing the following cybersecurity measures:
- Use your device’s ‘find me’ feature to track your mobile phone in case of loss or theft. Your photos, personal information, and other critical data can be easily copied when a malicious person gets hold of your mobile phone.
- Encrypt your data using your device.
- Avoid storing critical information like bank account passwords on your mobile phone.
- If you receive unsolicited texts or emails, avoid clicking the links attached therein. Sometimes, it may contain viruses that allow the sender to access your phone.
- Update your operating systems.
- Avoid installing apps outside your device’s app store.
- Keep your mobile phone locked at all times using a password or PIN.
6. Back Up All Data Regularly
Although cybersecurity measures can prevent cyber-attacks, it’s still possible for them to breach your data. If this happens, you should have backup data.
You can take advantage of multiple devices to save your electronic data. By having copies on various devices, you can still access them when lost during a cyber-attack.
Or you can use cloud storage so you can have them in one place. The best thing about cloud storage is that you can access it anytime and anywhere. As for its security measures, you can find reputable cloud storage providers known for their high level of security.
There are several cybersecurity practices—and all you need to do is apply them. That way, you can use the internet and your gadgets without the risk of being a victim of cybercrimes.
You may not have encountered it yet, and you may think these threats can’t happen to you. However, the more vulnerable you are, the higher the chances for cybercriminals to target you. Prevent this by considering the tips above.