Discord is an instant messaging and VOIP application that is known to all. Famous among gamers and great for chatting, this is smooth, friendly, and simple to use.
Though the application is great, some updates will occur regularly to improve the functionality and security improvements. But sometimes, you will find that the Discord stuck on checking for updates which can be daunting.
Various users overtime have complained about the issue but knowing the solutions is crucial.
So, let us look for the prominent solutions, but before that, let us explore the reason for the same.
Updates are designed to smoothen the application’s working, but sometimes you might face issues when updating the application. Discord stuck on checking for updates is an issue reported by various users.
The most common reason for the issue is listed as below:
- Lack of administrator privileges
- Bad or inconsistent internet connection
- Issues with the antivirus
- Corrupt cache files
- Server is down
The chances of facing the Discord stuck on checking for updates are quite low. But when you face such an issue, these are the potential solutions that can act as a perfect rescue mechanism for you.
So, let us explore the best solutions for the issue:
The first and simplest solution you should try when facing the Discord stuck on checking for updates is restarting your computer. This will stop all the applications from working currently and allow your system to cool down.
The steps to follow to restart the system are quite simple as below:
- Go to the Start Menu > Select Power option > Click on Restart button
- Now, wait for the system to restart
- Try using Discord now
Sometimes when there is fluctuation in the internet connection, applications face difficulty updating or even connecting. The best thing to do is reset the internet connection and try running the application once again.
For this, you will be needed to reset the router by following the steps below:
- Disconnect the internet > Turn off the router
- Wait for a couple of minutes
- Turn on the router
- Reconnect the internet
- Use Discord now
As listed in the issues, the Discord stuck on checking for updates can be due to the admin access. The best way to resolve the same is by offering the admin access to the application and then using it.
The steps to be followed for this fix are listed down below:
- Go to Discord > Right-click on it
- Select Run as administrator option
- A UAC prompt will be displayed > Click on YES
- It will launch Discord with admin privileges
- Check the application now
If these steps don’t work for you, the alternate steps are listed below:
- Press Windows + R keys
- Type %localappdata% in the Run box Click OK
- Locate the Discord folder and open it
- Now Find Update.exe file Right-click on it > Choose Run as administrator
- Check the application now
If the issue is due to the server, disabling the proxy server will help greatly. The steps to be followed for the same are as follows:
- Press Windows key + R Type inetcpl.cpl Click OK
- Go to the Connections tab > Click on LAN settings
- Uncheck – Use a proxy server for LAN
- Click OK to save changes
- Open the Discord app to check
Sometimes the issue can be because of the Windows Defender Antivirus. The best thing to do is switch off the Windows Defender Antivirus and run Discord. Follow the steps below for the same:
- Go to Windows Settings > Select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security > Select Virus & threat protection
- Go to the Manage Settings option
- Disable Windows Defender by turning off the Real-time protection option
The Discord stuck on checking for updates can be due to the cache. The steps that you will be required to follow to clear the cache and move ahead are as follows:
- Press Windows + R keys Type %appdata% Click OK
- Under the Roaming folder > Open the Discord folder
- Delete these 3 folders selected Cache, Code Cache, and Crashpad
- Open again the discord app
You can resolve the issue of updates by installing the latest version of Discord. Follow the steps as mentioned below:
- Goto the System tray > Right Click on Discord
- Select Quit Discord
- Now Press Windows key + R Type appwiz.cpl Click OK
- This will open programs and features window
- Locate Discord > Right-click on it > Select Uninstall
- Now press Windows key + R > Type %localappdata% Click OK
- Locate the Discord folder Delete it
- Again open %appdata% > Delete the Discord folder from there
- Restart your computer
- Visit the official Discord site to download – https://discord.com/download
- Install the Discord app for your device
The issue can be due to the loop. This can be resolved by updating the name of the Discord update file in the system. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- Ensure to close Discord first
- Press Windows + R keys Type %localappdata% Click OK
- Open the Discord folder
- Rename Update.exe to UpdateX.exe
- Now use Discord
Discord is an amazing application and is loved by gamers a lot. But when you face the Discord stuck on checking for updates, you might feel a bit discontent. But don’t worry; with the help of the fixes listed above, you will be able to solve the issue in no time and get back to using the application seamlessly.
Fix others Discord Errors