No ones to be introduced to Steam, the most popular digital gaming platform for computers. If you are into digital gaming, you must be used to downloading this platform.
When you are gaming on Steam, you are likely to be accustomed to the Steam error code 118 too.
This is a common error that has been observed in the latest versions of Steam. Whenever you have this error, the system displays a message as “Steam error code 118 failed to load web page“.
There can be various reasons behind the troubleshooting from viruses to firewalls. But we have hacks to tackle the situation effectively.
How to Fix Steam Error Code 118?
Before you try any of these 4 hacks to fix error 118 steam troubleshooting, it’s always good to try the simplest methods – restart the computer to refresh and reboot the operating system.
If there is a temporary data behind this error, it will get eliminated now.
No matter what the reason behind the troubleshooting is, these hacks are effective even for steam error code 101, error code -130 steam, and many more.
1. Let Steam Pass Through The Firewall:
If you have a firewall setup, it is likely to block the Steam activity. If this is the scenario, you need to allow steam to pass through the firewall.
To let it happen, you can try these steps-
- Press the Keys “Windows + S” simultaneously or simply go to the search bar on your computer taskbar and click to get the cursor.
- Type in “Firewall” in the search bar.
- From the pop-up menu, click on “Open” The Firewall page opens here.
- Go to the “Allow an app through Firewall” link and click on it.
- You will get a new page called “Allowed Apps” with the list of all active apps on your system.
- Click on the “Change settings” button to activate the app selection.
- Scroll down the app list and locate “Steam Client”.
- Check both “Private” and “Public” against Steam Client and press “Apply”.
go back to the gaming platform and check if steam code error -130 or 118 is still occurring.
2. Router Restarting:
Probably this is the first thing you check before the Firewall. If you have slow internet connectivity, the Steam will fail to launch properly.
You can always restart your router to boost the speed of the internet and also restart the software.
How to do it?
- Unplug your router from the socket.
- After waiting for a minute or two re-plug the cord of the router with the socket.
- Let internet access completely start working, and then re-launch the Steam gaming platform.
See if the Steam error 118 still persists.
Learn Also: How to Fix Steam Application Load error 3:0000065432
3. Disabling Third-Party Software:
Third-party applications like AdBlockers are always conflicting with gaming platforms.
They are often the reasons behind Steam errors.
You can comment for sure that third-party applications are the reason behind the error, but you can check by disabling them.
- Open “Run Prompt” by simultaneously pressing the buttons “Windows + R” on your keyboard.
- In the command space type “msconfig” and press the “Enter” button.
- In the new page click on the “services” tab.
- You will get a list of services. Uncheck the option for “Hide all Microsoft Services”.
- Once you can see all the services in the list, click on the option for “Disable all” and click on the tab of “Startup”.
- Now go to the search bar on the taskbar to look up the “Task Manager” App, or simply press the buttons “Ctrl + Alt + Delete”, to open the Task Manager.
- Check the list of all the active or working applications displayed in the list.
- Click any application from the list and then press the “Disable” tab. This prevents the auto-starting of the application when the computer starts up.
- Disable all the present applications on the list by repeating the process.
- Restart the computer.
- Now, run or launch the “Steam Client” app only.
If the error doesn’t display anymore, you can enable the disabled applications slowly until you get the problem back.
Now you can easily isolate the application that was causing the error and disable that permanently.
Steam code error-21 or 105 or similar might still persist. You need to repeat the process in such cases.
Pro Tips: Learn how to fix steam missing file privileges in windows 10
4. Do a Virus Scan:
The virus is a common threat to the smooth operation of gaming apps. They are the most probable reason behind any troubleshooting while you are on the game.
If you have the game on your system, you want to install an updated Antivirus on your system.
Use the Anti-virus app to scan the threat from any virus attacks on the system. If you find one, leave it to the Antivirus to deal with the issue.
Once the system is virus-free, you can restart the computer and launch your game.
Be it Steam error code -7 or 118, if you know the reason behind troubleshooting, getting a resolution is never a problem.
We have curated 4 easy hacks that save a lot of your time and fix all error codes smoothly.
These hacks are applicable for any kind of troubleshooting you observe while gaming on Steam.